Virtual Box with Win 7 possible at *Ubuntu running at a laptop with 2GB RAM?

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Sun Apr 15 20:30:09 UTC 2012

On 04/14/2012 06:15 PM, compdoc wrote:
> I would give the Windows 7 VM 1 Gig of ram, (leaving the laptop 1 Gig)
> if you use them both and switch back and forth often. They should be
> able to run in one gig of ram each.
>
> Or, you can give Windows 7 more ram, (such as 1.5 Gigs) if you are
> mainly using Windows 7 and then shutting it off afterwards. That will
> release the ram back to the laptop.

If I recall correctly, you are limited to allocating no more than half
of your physical RAM for use by the VM.  If this is actually the case,
on a 2 GByte machine, you can allocate no more than 1 Gbyte to the VM.
Of course if you can get around this, the more RAM that you give to a VM
the better.  Just be sure that you leave enough RAM to the physical
computer.  How much that is depends on how you use it.

Bill Stanley