Infrequently used printers

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Apr 15 15:50:26 UTC 2012

On 04/15/2012 09:49 AM, David Fletcher wrote:

> Now, I reckon that the root of the problem is that it doesn't get used
> often enough so the liquid ink dries and blocks the jets. So, I'm
> thinking, would it be a good idea to ditch the inkjet, get a small
> colour laser printer (I'm looking at, for instance, a Samsung CLP-320)
> for document printing, and just take photo files to a shop for printing?
>
> My reasoning is that because a laser printer's toner is a dry powder
> anyway, there's nothing to get dried out and cause the problems I'm
> experiencing with the inkjet.
>
> Can anybody with relevant experience of laser printers please enlighten
> me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave

I'm sure that someone with technical expertise will comment but based on
my experience your reasoning seems valid to me.  I have a Samsung
CLX-3160FN color laser and an old HP LaserJet 6p that I've had for ever.
  Since I got the Samsung a couple of years ago I've hardly used the HP.
  Yesterday I printed with a program I haven't used for a year which had
the HP as the default and the HP printed fine. I don't think it has been
setting idle for the whole year but it has been months since I've used it.

Regards,  Jim