Home directory on desktop

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 20:26:27 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 16:14, David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 08:47 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> > inside ~/BackupTest, which is still there.
>>
>> Is it possible that you accidentally moved them by dragging/dropping
>> in Nautilus?  This can be done surprisingly easily, especially when
>> using a touch pad I find.  Try, in a terminal
>> locate Desktop
>> and
>> locate Documents
>> to see if it shows the originals moved into a different folder.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion, but they're gone. Can't imagine how....
>
> If it was the system and nobody else has had this problem I guess it's
> hard to reproduce.

I'd ask you to re-install and do it again.  I ran into that same issue
when I did a fresh install of 12.04 on this machine and recovered my
home directory from a backup drive I use via rsync.

I thought at first that it was something I did, but maybe 12.04 is
defaulting to $HOME instead of $HOME/Desktop for XDG_DESKTOP_DIR
because the same change fixed that issue for me as well :/