Ubuntu 11.10 can't login within the gui window after update

John D Lamb J.D.Lamb at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 9 05:59:08 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-08 at 20:21 -0700, sam wrote:
> Ubuntu 11.10 can't login within the gui window after update.
>
> Yes, I can login through the command line (Alt+Ctrl+F1). but
> unfortunately, every time I plug my password to the password field
> (gui window) and hit enter it does recognize and accept my password
> then splash black screen appear, then go back to the window and ask me
> for the password again.

You need more information.

Can you log in to a guest session? If so, what is your standard desktop?
(typically you can click the cog on the login window) and what happens
if you try something else (Gnome, Ubuntu2D)?

You could also try looking at /var/log/* to see if you can find any
problems.

--
John D Lamb