Is nouveau default nvidia driver?

Art Edwards edwardsa at icantbelieveimdoingthis.com
Sun Apr 8 00:48:10 UTC 2012

On 04/06/2012 02:36 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Art Edwards wrote:
>
>> This was a dist-upgrade from maverick to natty. I should point out
>> that nouveau rendered the system unusable for the better part of a
>> day, on a day I couldn't afford to lose. When I finally was able to
>> diagnose the problem, I was able to re-install the nvidia driver
>> without removing any other packages. Given the  persistent bugs in
>> nouveau, perhaps the system should fall back to the nv driver.
>>
> That does sound sensible. Have you filed a bug? Seriously, please do -
> the only way these problems get fixed is if the people experiencing
> them report them. If there's already a bug reported, subscribe to it.
> That bumps it slightly up the priorities list. Bugs with more
> people marked as affected get more attention.
>
> I'd leave out the bit about it being a day you couldn't afford to lose,
> though - just keep any report down to what happened, and what you
> expected to happen.
>
> Thanks!

Agreed. It will probably go up this Tuesday night-- fighting deadlines.
However, at some point it might be good to have a conversation, in
whatever the appropriate venue, about how decisions in ubuntu should be
effected by the maturity of Linux, and by the overall expectations from
users. I have used linux since 1997, when I finally heard about it. For
many years, I was unshaken by its DIY features. Now, however, I'd rather
spend my time doing physics than chasing bugs. At some point this
expectation has to be important because the target audience is, I think,
production users.

Art Edwards

BTW: The bug was just confirmed by a colleague.