Heads Up for any US tax filers using Evince to read/save PDF's

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 7 22:02:14 UTC 2012

On 04/06/2012 01:00 PM, katrina warsaw wrote:
> And .. what about "okular"? you can use it for view pdf. Please , read more
> before saying that.
> There are at least five programs for viewing pdf files in linux. Can you
> discover them?

Why yes I can. Perhaps you should read the actual post *and* the bug
report. Can you discover them?

> Use your package manager and search for "pdf"

Is there a problem with using:

$ apt-cache search pdf

?

Now perhaps you'd like to tell us how many of the 'view pdf'
applications can be used to fill in a form & resave as a pdf? Can you
discover them?

BTW: Thanks for bringing up Okular. Okukar has the same issue. I just
tested with the f1040.pdf. Fill in a few of the form items, save it to a
pdf with a different name so you still have a working original, try to
open with Adobe Reader (linux or Windows) and you get: "There was an
error opening this document. There was a problem reading this document (14).

The point is that many users will have Evince (or Okular?) as the
default for pdf's. That user then fills in the form, saves it, and then
forwards it to his/her tax accountant. That accountant will most likely
be using Adobe Reader (Windows). The accountant won't be able to open
the filled in tax form (or any other form from Evince or Okular). The
user then reopens his/her form (in Evince) and says "looks fine to me".
And back & forth they go...

The exact same situation applies for any other
government/university/commercial form fillable pdf form (Europe, Asia,
etc). So yes Katrina, is a fairly serious bug IMO.