update killed my sound AGAIN!!!

Frans Ketelaars ketelaars at wanadoo.nl
Fri Apr 6 13:54:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 16:08:02 +0000, John Rose wrote:

> Added
> options snd-hda-intel model=generic
> to end of
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
>
> Then I rebooted & sound was heard. Only came through 1 speaker but it's
> a start. Presumably, I'll have to wait for alsa-project.org to sort out
> fix for ALC887.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/InstallingLinuxAlsaDriverModules says:

"The Ubuntu Kernel Team produces what they call "Crack of the Day" builds
of alsa-driver code. This is the latest development code that is being
worked on "upstream" and has all the most recent fixes to hardware
issues. We ask users having audio problems to install these builds in
order to help us identify whether the issue has already been fixed or if
it's also an issue upstream."

You will probably again get:

E: Couldn't
find package linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-40-generic

This looks to me to be the offending line:

sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r)

where "$(uname -r)" is replaced by the output of the command "uname -r".

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/ppa?field.series_filter=lucid

mentions "linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32" though ... Maybe that
is the package you must use?

You can also try "Install with Synaptic Package Manager" as mentioned
on that page.

Also on that page:

"For questions and bugs with software in this PPA please contact
Ubuntu Audio Development Team."

Good luck!

    Frans

P.S. I just read your latest post, maybe my email is of some use to the
topic starter, for the archives, or you might just want to experiment :)