Is nouveau default nvidia driver?

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Fri Apr 6 08:36:36 UTC 2012

Art Edwards wrote:

> This was a dist-upgrade from maverick to natty. I should point out
> that nouveau rendered the system unusable for the better part of a
> day, on a day I couldn't afford to lose. When I finally was able to
> diagnose the problem, I was able to re-install the nvidia driver
> without removing any other packages. Given the  persistent bugs in
> nouveau, perhaps the system should fall back to the nv driver.

That does sound sensible. Have you filed a bug? Seriously, please do -
the only way these problems get fixed is if the people experiencing
them report them. If there's already a bug reported, subscribe to it.
That bumps it slightly up the priorities list. Bugs with more
people marked as affected get more attention.

I'd leave out the bit about it being a day you couldn't afford to lose,
though - just keep any report down to what happened, and what you
expected to happen.

Thanks!

--
Avi