Wired and WIFI max bandwidth

Tim Edwards liststuff at fastmail.com.au
Wed Apr 4 08:32:34 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012, at 09:39 AM, Murat D. Kadirov wrote:

On 04.04.2012 08:37, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

  Hi,

Is there a way to find out whats the maximum bandwidth available
both in wired and wifi connections available on my laptop running
Ubuntu Desktop 11.10.

01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285
Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)

Laptop Make/Model :-  Dell Vostro 3450

See iperf/netperf, which available from repo.

Also is there a way to know if my wifi card is confirming to
802.11g or 802.11n standards.

$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.
eth0      no wireless extensions.
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=19 dBm
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
My wifi card supports b/g/n standards (IEEE 802.11bgn)
For more information about net to witch you connected (or want to
connect) run:
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

On my system if I run 'sudo iwconfig' I get the connection speed
too:
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"xxxxx"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point:
14:D6:4D:AE:12:A2
          Bit Rate=86.7 Mb/s   Tx-Power=19 dBm
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=35/70  Signal level=-75 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid
frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:4  Invalid misc:1010   Missed
beacon:0

It still shows "802.11bgn", so I don't know if you can really see
which Wifi standard the network is using.

Tim