update killed my sound AGAIN!!!

Bill Walton bwalton.im at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 15:49:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 6:57 AM, John Rose <john.aaron.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ric,
> sudo alsactl store didn't work. It gave:
> john at JohnDesktop:~$ sudo alsactl store
> [sudo] password for john:
> alsactl: get_control:250: Cannot read control info '2,0,0,Front Playback
> Volume,0': Invalid argument

I ran the updated commands on the community documentation site and did
get different results.  The main difference is that the commands
appeared to all execute with the exception of the removal of the
.pulse directory at the end which failed with a 'directory not empty'
message.

Bottom line, though, is that I still have no use of the external mic /
speakers.  Using the sound recorder I can see activity on the input
side via the 'sound level' bar, but replay (with headset plugged in)
give only static.

I'm going to add to the bug report filed previously by (I forget who)
and see what info I can supply to help get this fixed.  Like I said in
the beginning of the thread, this has been happening since day one on
10.04LTS and this laptop.

Bill