Ubuntu and Skype

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 04:43:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 14:56:28 -0500, Hans Muecke wrote:

> Fairly I think that M$ wants to
> make money out of Skype and otoh there are a lot of Linux users that are
> willing to pay for Skype's service. So why should they drop them?

Firstly, do you think my $2.99 per month will *ever* cover the cost MS
paid for skype?  You'd need alotta, lotta, lotta subscribers.  It will
never be a money maker.

As has been said, it's prime function is most likely to be used as a
differentiator.  Sans market pressure from Google Voice, they would
probably not develop for Linux at all.  I doubt you'll see any phones,
like my belkin, running skype on linux.  There used to be all sorts of
Linux appliances running skype.

Not that Google Voice is an option here:

http://cantada.ca/

-Thufir