login window disapears after sys update

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 2 14:37:48 UTC 2012

On 2 April 2012 15:32, oxy <oxyopes at googlemail.com> wrote:
> well, I can ssh to the system and work on it. So I dont need to
> boot in rescue mode. I just need to fix this login/window manager.
>
> I must have happened to sbody else since I have a standard
> ubuntu installation (12.04) and ran a standard sys update.

Not quite sure what you mean by a 'standard sys update', but have you
tried doing another update (via ssh) in case it has been fixed.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

By the way, it is preferred that top posting is not used on this list.
 Please insert your replies inline in previous message.  Thanks.

Colin

> ????...
>
> On 4/1/12, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 04/01/2012 03:39 AM, oxy wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I ve just done a sys-update in my Ubuntu 12.04 64Bit,
>>> installed a week ago and pretty standard. The update
>>> manager required a reboot, I did it and now I cannot
>>> get the login window anymore! :-/
>>> Just a blank window, no reaction to Ctr-Alt-F1 and so on.
>>>
>>> I can ssh login to the system and work on it remotely.
>>> Any help to get this login window again?
>>
>> If you have your install CD just boot into rescue mode. Then sort out
>> the problem. Ric
>>

>> --
>> My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
>> "There are two Great Sins in the world...
>> ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
>> Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
>> http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html
>>
>> --

gplus.to/clanlaw