Installing multiple window manager

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Mon Apr 2 14:25:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 10:04:27 -0400
Pierre Girard <pierre.girard at gerad.ca> wrote:

> Le 2012-03-30 16:50, Liam Proven a écrit :
> >
> > I too have installed multiple window managers - GNOME + KDE, Unity +
> > KDE, Unity + GNOME 3 + KDE + Xfce, and so on - many times over the
> > years with no problems at all.
> >
> > It *should* work find and, well, Just Work™.
> >
> > I think you might have some other, deeper problems, I am afraid.
>
> I'm starting to think so too. I'll try to find a different machine to
> try it on.

I'd be tempted to try this:

1) Go to a text login prompt, and login:
     press <ctrl>+<alt>+<F1>
2) stop the KDE display manager
     service kdm stop
3) start the Gnome one
     service gdm start

And see if that helps at all. It'll not make any permanent changes, but
we can make that change stick if it turns out that it works.

--
Avi