Which kernel is best for AMD C60?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 2 06:14:44 UTC 2012

On 31/03/12 18:08, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 03/31/2012 02:57 AM, Art Edwards wrote:
>> I have installed oneiric on an Acer Aspire 1 with amd dual core c60
>> processor. The kernel chosen automatically during install is a -pae
>> version. I thought that pae was "physical address extension" that is
>> special hardware that allows a 32 bit processor to access a 64 bit
>> address space. When I look on the web for information about the
>> processor, the spec's say it is a 64 bit processor. So, did the
>> installer choose the correct kernel? I'm having major stability issues--
>> the system often freezes on the login screen, requiring a hard shutoff
>> and reboot. I'm wondering if this is a symptom of the wrong kernel.
>>

> You should be able to run 32bit on a 64bit processor, no sweat. But,
> since you have multicores, 64bit might be better. Best to jam all the
> ram you can in too. I ran a single core AMD-3200 for a long time on
> 32bit, as I only had 2 gigs of ram. I was pleasantly surprised how
> cheap 16 gigs of ram was. Makes a lot of difference. :) Ric

Um, sorry to butt in here, Ric, but while it is true that RAM is now
relatively cheap compared to years ago a problem with the above
statement is that one can only add as much RAM as what the motherboard
will accept. I know you said, "jam all the ram you can" but many newbies
will assume "the sky's the limit".

I, too, have an AMD 3200, sitting on an ASUS mobo, and the max RAM I can
have on it is 3GB.

There was someone here, I *think* but cannot remember or perhaps in
another "place", who wanted to get more RAM to speed up his computer and
I told him to first check the manual for the motherboard; he ignored the
advice and ended up paying for RAM which he couldn't use.

The moral of the story is to read the manual for the motherboard to see
(a) how much RAM it will accept, and (b) what *type* of RAM the mobo
accepts.

BC

--
Why do people order double cheeseburgers, large French fries, and Diet Coke?