cron syntax (leafnode)

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 22:34:24 UTC 2012

I want leafnode to run every 65 minutes, or perhaps every hour at 23
minutes past, or something along those lines.  I *think* this is the
cronjob to fetchnews:

thufir at dur:~$ nl /etc/cron.d/leafnode
     1	# Cron entries for Leafnode.
     2	# Run /etc/news/leafnode/do-fetch-news every hour.
     3	8 * * * *  news if [ -x /etc/news/leafnode/do-fetch-news ]; then /
etc/news/leafnode/do-fetch-news; fi
thufir at dur:~$

on line 3, I was about to turn that 8 into */65, but that can't be
right.  I thought that the first number was the interval:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

but fetchnews is running every hour.  I wouldn't really want it to run
every eight minutes, and I don't htink it does.  I receive periodic
messages that leafnode fails, so I want to send it at odd times.

thanks,

Thufir