Was: Shuttleworth (SABDFL) wants to shutdown this ubuntu.user list

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Thu Sep 29 18:31:26 UTC 2011

On 09/29/2011 10:23 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> The discussion that this thread has spawned has planted this great world
> changing idea in my head. This is a desperately needed improvement for
> mailman.
>
> As I understand it, a large part of the problem with moderating the
> mailing list is how limited moderation is (assuming the list remains
> open vs. 100% moderated.) When someone sends an ill thought message,
> it's already been received by every recipient. Moderators can only
> admonish the sender or ban them from posting. Either way, the thousands
> of people will continue replying to the original message. The result is
> that every 'bad' message will inevitably snowball.
>
> My idea is simply that mailman requires a function to 'lock a thread'.
> When invoked by a moderator, any reply to any message in that discussion
> thread gets rejected. I see no reason why this would not be relatively
> trivial to implement. Sure, it would be easy for people to work around,
> but only a few would, and those can be dealt with directly as
> misbehaving agents. I think that effectively disabling people's 'reply'
> button to an unwanted discussion thread would solve 90% of the problems
> with a list like this.

Well, if some people would refrain from just post post POST all the
time, and just keep making things worse, it would help. The list
performs a much needed function. BUT, when someone posts a question only
the first three or four replies are somewhat worthwhile and on topic.
 From that point on the discussion devolves into stupidity. There are
some people on  the list that just *HAVE* to have the last word. They
compete to see who can hang on longest.

I manage a couple lists on Mailman and the options do rather suck. And,
yes, if asked I would be willing to help with the list.

--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb."     - Benjamin Franklin -