Unfair competition

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 01:07:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 09/28/2011 04:25 PM, Edward avanti wrote:
> > maybe the people who think this joke  only use one internet medium and
> thats
> > ubuntu, they need to dramatically expand their horizon and see a big
> world
> > out there in IT, it does exist, ubuntu doesnt even measure in percentage,
> > its a drop in a tiny puddle, compred to the world size ocean of lists and
> > forums and IT news out there
>
> Probably won't matter much here shortly anyway:
>
> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:00
> Shuttleworth states that they should just shut the Ubuntu users list down:
> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:10
> [aiee, we should just shut that baby down]
> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:44
> [i'm happy to take the shutdown bullets on -users]
> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:45
> [even if it's of the 'last chance, fred's agreed to moderate, if (s)he
> gives up, we shut down the list']

One of the most effective ways to discourage new users and to shut out those
looking for viable alternatives to Windo$e is to reduce the ability to
obtain assistance during the steep part of the learning curve.
Closing down support avenues because some of the more anally retentive
subscribers can't deal with the ~normal~ social interaction indicative of a
healthy social organism presents a public perception of a closed shop -
outsiders need not apply - you are not wanted or welcome here.
My advice is to grow up and learn some social skills.  If ~you~ can't handle
the stress then leave.  Don't pitch a bitch and screw it up for the rest of
us who haven't had the advantage of studying this stuff full time till we
dream in code.
I have dealt with technical types across a broad range of disciplines my
entire adult life.  The most socially retarded have always been those who
were most wrapped up in the operation of complex computerized systems where
they dealt more with machines than other human beings.
If anybody wants to flame me for stating my opinion - have at it.
I can be reached at: hideserted at gmail.com
Be advised that I am a cranky old man who has suffered a disabling injury
and has lots of time available to pull your chain, and a lifetime of
experience at making people loose their cool - it is usually quite
entertaining and occasionally instructive.
ED

--
<http://linuxcounter.net/cert/544489.png>Accidental deaths by firearms
account for less than 1% of the 30,000.  There are three times as many

<http://linuxcounter.net/cert/544489.png>