A basic question regarding grub display options

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 27 22:10:12 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 12:28 PM, PM wrote:
>> Rather than remove it, why not remove the executable bit?
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
>> [/etc/grub.d/ (directory)]
>> <quote>
>> 20_memtest86+ Searches for /boot/memtest86+.bin and includes it as an
>> option on the GRUB 2 boot menu. There is currently no line option to
>> remove this entry from the menu. The display of memtest86+ can be
>> inhibited by removing the executable bit from this file and running sudo
>> update-grub.
>> </quote>
>>

> Removing only the executable bit makes recovery mode still in the system but
> that option would not be highlighted in the display. Is it like that? It's a
> better option then.

That does indeed work for me; all of my systems have the excutable bit
removed. You can test for yourself; open a terminal and enter (without
the '$' - that's the prompt):

$ sudo chmod 644 /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+

Then reboot and you should no longer see it on the grub menu. To change
it back should you need/want to in the future:

$ sudo chmod 755 /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+