A basic question regarding grub display options

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 27 19:33:51 UTC 2011

On 27 September 2011 18:20, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 00:47:10 +0800, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If you ever had problems that prevented a normal boot then it is
>> easier to recover if this option is still in you boot options.  With
>> linux you can do anything you like, so it is up to you to decide
>> whether to take the risk.
>
> To boot to recovery, you can amend the linux line of the entry
> from
> linux /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-xx-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxx ro splash quiet
> linux /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-xx-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxx ro 1

I was not suggesting that it is not possible to boot into recovery
after removing it from the boot list, merely that it is easier if it
is still there.  The question for the OP is whether the benefit of
removing it (whatever that benefit is) outweighs the risk of having to
use the above technique - if he can remember it, and if he knows how
to get to the point of editing the entry.

Colin (Law, not Watson)