A basic question regarding grub display options

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 27 17:03:52 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 08:09 AM, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 08:23:56PM +0530, PM wrote:
>> Two extra choices come - 1) For memory test (I don't know why this comes)
>> and 2) Ubuntu Recovery Mode. I guess there would not be any problem if I
>> need to hide these two options (since they are not used, more clearly I
>> never used). So how these two options can be hidden in that display which is
>> not possible from Start-Up Manager.
>
> To disable the memory test options, remove the memtest86+ package.

Rather than remove it, why not remove the executable bit?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
[/etc/grub.d/ (directory)]
<quote>
20_memtest86+ Searches for /boot/memtest86+.bin and includes it as an
option on the GRUB 2 boot menu. There is currently no line option to
remove this entry from the menu. The display of memtest86+ can be
inhibited by removing the executable bit from this file and running sudo
update-grub.
</quote>

And yes, I know you are a grub2 developer :-) I'm just curious why you
recommend removing the package rather than removing the executable bit.