U11.10 Screen Refresh Rate

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Sep 27 09:41:15 UTC 2011

On 27 September 2011 10:37, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have lost track of the thread a bit, but I thought that normally
> there is no such file.  Certainly I have not got one.  Not that I need
> to change my refresh rate I am just following this as a learning
> exercise.

There isn't an xorg.conf by default because (for some time now) X has
been able to automagically figure out what you want, and start up
without one. That doesn't mean it gets it right 100% of the time
though. As such we help X along a bit by giving it some config in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. Examples of things that we use xorg.conf to
configure today include refresh rates, wacom tablet config, twinview
multiple monitor support, suppression of vendor logo on X start,
forced resolution options and so on.

Al.