asking for login name on install

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 26 14:39:38 UTC 2011

On 26 September 2011 12:58, G. <pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install Natty on an older Acer desktop.  When I I try
> the program to see if things work I get a login screen which asks for
> a login name.  I have no idea what login name to use.  I have
> installed Ubuntu 12 times or more and never had this happen.  I
> checked the disk for defects.  This happens whether I use a USB or CD
> that I burned.  I even downloaded Natty again just this morning.

I think there is confusion about exactly when you get the login
screen.  Could you describe in detail what you are doing and when you
get the login prompt?  For example it is not clear whether it is when
you are booting off the CD or starting the install itself or after the
install or what.

Please do not just say that it is when booting off CD, give us more
detail about what happens.

Colin