Unable to reach the login screen(Ubuntu 10.4)

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Sep 25 09:30:55 UTC 2011

On 25/09/11 15:37, Amrit Pal Pathak wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 7:35 AM, Koh Choon Lin<2choonlin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>>> I have Ubuntu 10.4.By mistaken i deleted some packages from synaptic
>>> package manager and then my screen gave me a weird look.Surely
>>> something wrong had happened.Everything got changed e.g softwares
>>> ,menus etc.
>>
>> Do you still remember what you had removed?
> Some perl packages.

Guys, I don't think perl packages are that fatal. If I am wrong,
somebody correct me fast.

Amrit, go to recovery console again..get to the 'root with networking'
part. Then at the prompt...issue the following commands....
apt-get -f install
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Then reboot as follows  (to make sure it is not a video problem)
When boot grub menu appears, press 'e' at the first menu, use arrow keys
to the linux line and modify as follows...
From
linux /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-x-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxxx ro   splash quiet
linux /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-x-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxxx ro   nomodeset

Press 'ctrl' + 'x' to boot (do not press 'esc')

If booted, then we're back and try to boot as normal.
If not, I give up.

Goh Lip
ps: booting to external, please wait 45 secs after pressing 'ctrl' + 'x'

--
When you cease to seek happiness, you will find it.