Windows 8's use of the UEFI Secure Boot

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 00:09:45 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:20 AM, David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net>wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 10:02 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>
> > The question is whether, in the future, you may have no choice.
> >
> > Colin
> >

> Surely if I continue as I do, and buy PC components to build my own
> computers, the motherboard will be provided with whatever is needed?
>
> Don't know about laptops though. Any possibility of another antitrust
> case in the making?
>
> -- This looks like just the sort of thing that got Micro$oft in trouble
with the EU previously.
If their response is the same this time as before they will pay a fine and
make changes under court order.  In the interim, everybody suffers.  Only
way to nip it in the bud is for somebody to have them enjoined before the
fact.  Since that isn't likely to happen they will perpetrate a pre-emptive
strike on other operating systems such as Linux and Android.
ED

<http://linuxcounter.net/cert/544489.png>Accidental deaths by firearms
account for less than 1% of the 30,000.  There are three times as many
medical mistake deaths in the US than there are accidental gun deaths.
Perhaps we need safety locks on doctors and nurses?

<http://linuxcounter.net/cert/544489.png>