Can't record sound after updates

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 23:31:34 UTC 2011

On 09/24/2011 09:26 AM, Peter O'Doherty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After installing a number of updates yesterday (unfortunately I can't
> remember which) I am unable to record sound using Sound recorder or
> Audacity. My assumption is that one of the updates messed with this.
> I tried changing the settings in PulseAudio Volume control but to no avail.
> I'm running 11.04 on a PackardBell laptop.
> Please let me know what other information I need to provide to find out
> where the problem might be.

Pulse sits on top of ALSA. If ALSA not happy, pulse not happy. Open
alsamixer in a terminal, unmute your mike and set the volume level to
about 80%. If your mike is your USB headset, then in alsamixer hit F6
and chose that device to edit it's mike function. Use the m key to
toggle mute on/off. ONCE alsa is happy, then go into pavucontrol and
check it's settings. Everything should work at this point. Leave
pavucontrol open, start your recording session test, and you should see
the strength indicator bar move (under the recording tab) while you
speak into your mike. You get to that point, you are arrived.

I have found that hot-plugging my USB headset is a problem. If I boot
with it plugged in, no problems. Maybe a Bios vs OS thing, I have no
clue. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html