Nvidia driver problem

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 21:47:55 UTC 2011

On 09/24/2011 01:52 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 24/09/11 15:35, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On 09/24/2011 01:15 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
>>> I GET 270.41.06 IN NVIDIA XSERVER SETTINGS IN LSPCI -V it just says
>>> Kernel driver in use: nvidia and under it says Kernel modules:
>>> nvidia-current, nvidia-173, nouveau, nvidiafb. The nvidia- current is
>>> what I thought I wanted loaded and I thought that was the 270 but it
>>> seems not to be the one it is using. In additional drivers program it
>>> says that nvidia-current is loaded but not being used. So I don't know.
>>

>> Jockey should show you the recommended driver for your video
>> card/adapter. Did you try editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf yet, as I wrote
>> before?? If so, what happened? Ric
>
> Baby steps, Ric, baby steps..... :-( .
>
> How about recommending that this be read as a starter:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Video ?

I did do baby steps... if the xorg.conf file ain't right, nothing
happens. So, I asked if the attempt was made. Then what happened? You
know, the usual.

But, if his system doesn't want to allow that nVidia card to work, ala
eMachine, it's gonna be tougher. I feel the OP's pain though. But,
without that edit to xorg.conf, jockey will correctly report that though
the driver is loaded, and it's not being used because xorg.conf didn't
tell the system to use it. Simple. When he cut and pasted his copy it
showed nvidia wasn't being used. Ergo, it ain't and won't be used until
the edit makes it happen. >>IMHO<<
:) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html