New motherboard Biostar A780L3L CD-ROM DRIVE Connection???

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 17:21:44 UTC 2011

On 24 September 2011 18:11, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
> On 09/24/2011 11:56 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Larry<larryesu at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> *I have a new biostar motherboard, now I have all of the connections
>>> installed, except for my CD-rom&  DVD writers, might anyone out there
>>> also
>>> have the same board, and could tell me where it is located...??? I see no
>>> empty slots left and the company will not be open until monday, so I am
>>> hoping that just maybe someone has the answer for me...
>>

>> It is highly unusual that a new motherboard not coming with a manual,
>> either printed or in a CD ROM. Have you checked for any of them?
>>
>> In addition, motherboard manuals are usually available in the Internet
>> too.
>
> What he said up above.
>
> Plus! It would help if you gave a bit more information.
>
> I'm sure biostar makes/has made more than one board. The identification of
> the board would help when looking for help.

He did - it's right there in the title. It's a Biostar A780L3L. This
is the web page:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=495

> Also, what you have plugged in and where. What kind of connections do your
> drives require. Stuff like that.
>
> If your board comes with four SATA connections and you have four hard drives
> connected but need two more for the CD and DVD. Stuff that someone needs to
> know when your asking for help.

That's the bit I was going to ask.

According to Biostar's page, it has an IDE connection which would work
with older PATA optical drives. If Larry has 2, then all he need to is
set one to MASTER and one to SLAVE and attach them to the same IDE
cable and plug that into the EIDE port.

If the optical drives are SATA, and he has 2, then there are only
connectors for 2 hard disks along with the 2 optical drives - but
given that he says one is a CD-ROM and they mostly disappeared years
ago, I think it's a fairly safe bet that at least that one is PATA.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com