<slightly OT> Linux Counter updated!!

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:39:35 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 22:00, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:11:56 +0100
> Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Alt-F4 is the Windows, KDE and GNOME shortcut key to close the current
>> active window.
>>
>> Yes, if no windows are open, it brings up the shutdown dialog box on
>> Windows, but that is not is primary purpose.
>
> Happily, such doesn't seem to be the case with LXDE, although some
> (most?  all?) individual programs do abide by it.

The basic CUA keystrokes are supported on quite a lot of window
managers and OSs these days.

E.g.

Tab: next field
Shift-tab: previous field
Ctrl-left/right: move cursor a word at a time
Shift+cursor keys: select text
Ctrl+shift+left/right: select text while moving a word at a time
Alt-Tab: switch to next program
Alt-shift-tab: switch to previous program
Ctrl-W or Ctrl-F4: close document or subwindow
Alt-F4: close current window
Ctrl-N: new window/document
Ctrl-O: open file
Ctrl-S: save current file
Ctrl-P: print current file

And the Mac-like:
Ctrl-X: cut selection
Ctrl-C: copy selection
Ctrl-V: paste clipboard
Ctrl-Z: undo

Ctrl-B: toggle bold on/off for selection
Ctrl-I: toggle italics on/off for selection
Ctrl-B: toggle underline on/off for selection

I am often amazed at how skilled computer users don't know the basic
shortcut keys.

It is also why I can't get my head around EMACS - because however
wonderful and powerful it might be, it doesn't use the basic control
keys that have been around for 25y now. Aquamacs on OS X came close,
but I'd really like a cross-platform text-mode version of EMACS that
used the standard control keys that all CUA systems conform to.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com