Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 (Oneiric Ocelot) Released

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:15:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 09:03, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 23/09/11 19:52, Oliver Grawert wrote:

>> releases.u.c carries all average images, it gets regulary mirrored all
>> over the world. to limit the load and disk usage on the often voluntary
>> driven mirrors there is the cdimage server. cdimage.u.c does not get
>> mirrored and carries the rather uncommon images (special architectures,
>> exotic image types etc) that dont see as many downloads.
>>
>> during development a release is only called by its release name
>> ("oneiric" in the current cycle) from release date on the name changes
>> to the actual version (you will notice that all the official docs on
>> ubuntu.com only use release numbers (with the release name in brackets
>> sometimes)). this renaming is the reason for having the symlinks ...
>>
>> ciao
>>        oli
>
> Would someone be in a position to translate this into something
> understandable, please?

releases.ubuntu.com carries the most commonly downloaded images and is
mirrored all around the world.

cdimages.ubuntu.com carries everything (basically) including special
images that aren't downloaded often (netboot, ARM, etc)

During development, the release is referred to by its name (Oneiric,
Natty, Maverick) and after release it's referred to by its number
(11.10, 11,04, 10.10, 10.04 LTS).  The ISOs are named accordingly,
thus in development, Oneiric images are named things like:
oneiric-desktop-*.iso and after the final release, they will be
renamed accordingly to ubuntu-11.10-*.

That being said, I just noticed that releases has a natty directory
that has ubuntu-11.10-beta2-* images in it... never noticed that
before, so I don't know if that's new as of Beta2 or not...