Act ubuntu server a an ADSL modem

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:08:47 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 20:14, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 10:10 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 22 September 2011 17:58, Jerem <oth4l4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yeah i have a telephone socket on my PC have you got a tutorial or something
>>> like this to do that ?
>>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> That is a *dial-up* modem, not an ADSL modem.
>
> You know that for a fact? Reason for asking is that there are/were
> indeed pci ADSL modems.
>
> Example: The older Compaq & HP desktops sometimes came with the
> Lucent/Agere Wildwire modems which were indeed capable of direct DSL
> connects.
>
> http://modemsite.com/56k/wild.asp

Good heavens. I had not heard of such combined devices, and IME, PCI
ADSL modems were /very/ rare.

And as the page you point to says, those combined modems won't work
with modern ADSL2 or ADSL2+ services, only G.LITE. I doubt they'll
work with Linux, either.

But you are right. I made an assumption which, although highly
probable, is not a certainty.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com