KDE and akonadi FIXED

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Sep 23 09:51:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 05:22 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> I have scrimped and saved for most of this year to get a new motherboard
> chock full-o processors and a tin-bucket full of ram. As I usually do, I
> install KDE on top of a gnome install to avoid the sound system errors I
> used to get with Kubuntu. KDE has this mindset that you WILL comply with
> whatever notion they come up with, that has already been superseded by
> sh*t that really works far better.
>
> So, I got this hot new motherboard just whirring up the fans and bumping
> on all 6 CPUs with 16 gigs of ram and a stinkin' solitaire game is
> acting like I'm running a 486. KDE figures you WILL use kmail and you
> WILL use kontact and it WILL open a mysql database without so much as a
> by-your-leave and then goes blind playing with itself. If I didn't like
> KDE as a desktop, I would switch in a heartbeat and send their devel
> team a fresh steaming buffalo chip by Fedex ...COD.
>
> The akonadi daemon(s) was eating up CPU and ram like a dutch sailor on
> shore leave. So, after much evil giggling I found the little devil
> hiding in ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc. I edited the line
> 'StartServer' to false and rebooted. Now, it ain't running and the cards
> are flying like they ought. Me, I use Thunderbird now, google for my
> contacts and calendar. I don't NEED stinkin' gmail nor kontact. But, I
> cannot remove them without removing kde-full. WTF?
>
> This mindset, which just ~writhes~ within our little community by some
> strong minded devels, of MAKING someone use something is going to be a
> major stumbling block for a lot of people, when they collectively get
> their backs up. It makes us look lame to explain to someone that they
> should expect for their CPU to be eaten up for 24 hours by an
> application they might not even use. This is not ignorance. This is
> stupidity in all of it's full blown dysfunctional glory. It's, shall I
> say it?, like that OTHER OS. I pray we get back to being an OS of
> choices. >IMHO<
>
> I was really miffed, Ric
----
I suppose as long as one has the limited view/tunnel vision of Ric the
above rant makes perfectly good sense but the real question is why you
use KDE at all... why not use XFCE?

KDE is after a 'Desktop Environment' and the inclusion of Akonodai is to
promote the concept of interlinked resources such as contacts and
calendars into various applications and not just data blackholes unto
themselves. Firefox and Thunderbird are actually GNOME applications and
something like the 'address book' within Thunderbird doesn't really
share its information with other applications.

In reality though, you could actually just use KDE's 'System Settings'
to accomplish the same that you did by editing
~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc or actually change the underlying
database (you aren't actually stuck using mysql). So in essence, you are
actually exercising your choice and that is the Linux way.

Still - all that said, why are you using KDE if you don't use it's
integration at all?

More to your point though, if you really feel as though you have an
opinion that would be useful for all users, there is bugzilla where
there is a chance those who make the determinations of what/how/where
things are configured might actually read them.

Craig

believed to be clean.