Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 (Oneiric Ocelot) Released

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 23 09:52:20 UTC 2011

hi,
Am Freitag, den 23.09.2011, 09:57 +0100 schrieb Alan Pope:
> On 23 September 2011 09:37, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Also at http://releases.ubuntu.com/oneiric/
> > Not sure why it is in so many places, a bit odd.  I hope they are all
> > pointing to the same image :)
>
> /oneiric and /11.10 point to the same place (symlinks I believe) but
> cdimage is a separate server.

releases.u.c carries all average images, it gets regulary mirrored all
over the world. to limit the load and disk usage on the often voluntary
driven mirrors there is the cdimage server. cdimage.u.c does not get
mirrored and carries the rather uncommon images (special architectures,
exotic image types etc) that dont see as many downloads.

during development a release is only called by its release name
("oneiric" in the current cycle) from release date on the name changes
to the actual version (you will notice that all the official docs on
ubuntu.com only use release numbers (with the release name in brackets
sometimes)). this renaming is the reason for having the symlinks ...

ciao
	oli