Why unable to soft boot (11.04)?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:13:50 UTC 2011

On 20 September 2011 01:14, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My ubuntu (11.04) machine is unable to soft reboot (actually unable to
> shutdown as I don't see the BIOS screen). Does anybody know how debug
> this problem? Thanks.

Firstly, make sure that your Ubuntu install is completely up-to-date.

I use

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

... for this.

Then, ensure that your system's motherboard BIOS is completely
up-to-date as well. You may need to use a DOS boot floppy, USB stick
or single-use CD for this. Find the make and exact model of your
motherboard and check on the manufacturer's website. Be *very* careful
to be certain that you have the correct BIOS for your motherboard; if
you use the wrong one, you can permanently destroy the motherboard.

Shutdown and reboot problems are often due to ACPI issues which are
one of the primary things that BIOS updates affect these days.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com