<slightly OT> Linux Counter updated!!

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 22 04:35:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:33:07 +0200
Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:21:10 +0200
> > Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> > > There are two separate clipboard buffers (at least when you use
> > > KDE). One is used with Crtl-C or right-click -> copy and then
> > > Ctrl-V or right- click -> insert (or whatever it is called in the
> > > menu). The other buffer is used by highlighting and middle-click.
> >
> > Don't they both do the same thing?  If you are used to the long
> > version copy, isn't your material already copied to the highlight,
> > middle click buffer by the time you use your copying via keyboard
> > 'shortcut?'
>
> Yes, if you highlight something with your mouse, it is in the mouse
> buffer and if you then use ctrl-c it is _also_ in the keyboard
> buffer. Then you can highlight something else with your mouse and
> that is only in the mouse buffer. You can then paste both buffers
> using ctrl-v at the point where you want to insert from the keyboard
> buffer and with middle- click from the mouse buffer at a different
> point.

I can definitely see a use for that but it will become confusing
quickly, having to fill, then empty and re-fill the mouse buffer.  I
think I'd just as soon highlight and paste twice.  It /might/ be slower
but at least I will know what I'm about and not have my computer cause
me to think my elderly brain is failing.  ;-]

> > What is the point of having two clipboard buffers for the same
> > thing?
>
> I don't know if that was the idea, but it is quite nice, if I want to
> quote from a web page and also copy the URL of that page. Then I
> don't have to switch applications twice. OTOH, it is sometimes
> confusing if I paste from the wrong buffer.

Yep, there comes that confusion I was mentioning.

> > Is it just for the GNUbies moving from that /other/ OS so that they
> > can still do as they are used to doing?
> >
> > If such is the case,  are we not better off teaching instead of
> > making Linux into a clone of Winduhs?
>
> If there are keyboard shortcuts, they should be the same as for
> Windows, IMHO. Otherwise it is too confusing if you use both
> operating systems. And what would be the point of inventing new
> shortcuts? Just to make things unnecessarily complicated?

I was unaware of the 'keyboard' buffer.  Is there a name for it to
differentiate it from the 'mouse' buffer?
Being unaware, I wasn't advocating inventing new keyboard shortcuts,
but rather teaching the Linux way of non-keyboard copy/paste which is
lots easier than the keyboard method, at least for me, the one who is
definitely /not/ a keyboard cowboy.

> > (can you say, "Ctrl, Alt, Delete?")
>
> I prefer the most important shortcut for that other OS: Alt-F4. :)
>

> Nils

Sorry, that humor (indicated by the smiley, I imagine) is lost on me.
I haven't used the other OS is quite a few years.  What does Alt-F4
do?  Here (Claws mail) it wants to delete this message before I send it.

Cybe R. Wizard
	Winduhs