two perl packages each installed Cwd.so, and that screwed me

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Sep 21 19:06:49 UTC 2011

  if you can stand one more post on this topic, i have one more ubuntu
perl packaging issue to resolve.  here's what solved build problems
for every package but one from my earlier post:

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   long story short, a bunch of package builds kept failing because
> of a missing symbol (Perl_Gthr_key_ptr), and i finally tracked it
> down to:
>
> $ dpkg -S /usr/lib/perl/5.10.1/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so
> perl-base: /usr/lib/perl/5.10.1/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so
> $ dpkg -S /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so
> libfile-spec-perl: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so
> $
>
>   yes, two different packages, both of which contributed Cwd.so and
> the build was picking up the second one which was *wrong*, so i
> deleted that package (which had no dependencies) and, suddenly, my
> build is off and running.
>
>   why do two different packages contribute the same file?  isn't that
> some kind of packaging bug?

  however, there's one more package that still has build errors for a
*similar* but not identical reason, for which the error message is:

perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.so:
undefined symbol: Perl_Istack_sp_ptr

  so, it's the same *type* of error but for another .so file and
symbol.  *however*, in this case, i see no duplication of Parser.so
files.  there is only one Parser.so file anywhere under all of /usr,
and it's part of the package libhtml-parser-perl, which if i tried to
remove, bad things would happen:

The following packages will be REMOVED:

apparmor-utils* cdbs* gnome-system-tools* gnucash* icoutils* intltool*
libfinance-quote-perl* libhtml-format-perl* libhtml-parser-perl*
libhtml-tableextract-perl* libhtml-tree-perl* libnet-dbus-perl*
liboobs-1-4* liboobs-1-5* libparse-debcontrol-perl* librpc-xml-perl*
libtex-encode-perl* libwww-perl* libxml-parser-perl*
libxml-sax-expat-perl* libxml-treebuilder-perl* libxml-twig-perl*
libxml-xpath-perl* publican* python-distutils-extra*
quickly-ubuntu-template* system-tools-backends* ubuntu-desktop*

  so i'm not sure what to do here.  this is the last annoying issue so
it would be nice to put it to bed.  advice gratefully received.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca