System locking up

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 17:22:25 UTC 2011

I have been suffering Firefox lockups for the past few months, in
which Firefox spikes one of my two CPU cores to 100% for about half a
minute. I've been disabling extensions trying to find the problem with
no success.

The past few days now the whole system locks up. The mouse pointer
moves with the mouse, but the screen beneath is frozen for about half
a minute. After it resolves itself, I look in the KDE System Monitor
plasmoid and see that only one of the cores had spiked. How can I
diagnose this? Is there a way to tell it it's hardware or software
related? The CPU temp does not rise appreciably (only about 2 degrees,
and never goes above 50). There seems to be adequate system memory,
and the system cooling fans are clean and spinning properly. Kubuntu
11.04, 4 GiB RAM, dual-core AMD processor, 32 bit PAE kernel.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il