insserv or update-rc.d or something else?

Berni Elbourn berni at elbournb.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 10:00:09 UTC 2011

On 17/09/11 12:45, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Berni Elbourn wrote:
>>
>> I have used mv to alter the ordering of rc0.d, and rc6.d and the system no
>> longer looses data on a clean halt/reboot.
>

> What exactly did you change?

Thanks. I have no idea why the ordering was wrecked previously since I
have only used apt-get to install update things.

To fix I changed all the S* to K* as per above with K99halt and
K99reboot. But I am not sure this is "right". K* or S* seems to be a
matter of debate too.

I do feel I should use a "proper" tool like update-rc.d to remove and
re-add halt/reboot.