Thunderbird/gmane?

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Sep 18 13:50:50 UTC 2011

On 09/17/2011 10:35 AM, sktsee wrote:
> On 09/17/2011 09:15 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> I apologize for starting a new thread with the same name as my old one.
>> When reading the reply from sktsee I clicked on the menu to check his
>> recommendations, the message was marked as read and I no long had access
>> to it. For convenience I have copied and pasted the original from the
>> archives.
>>

>> On 09/16/2011 03:35 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>>
>> Following some advice I received here I started to read the list on
>> gmane. I like it and it is working well except I can't see any old
>> messages. Once I read a message and close that account the next time I
>> open gmane I don't see anything I have read previously.
>>
>> I have View-->Threads set to all.
>>
>> Settings--> Sync & Storage is as follows:
>>
>> Disk Space - No entries are checked
>>
>> Recover Disk Space - Don't delete any messages is checked
>>
>> Remove bodies from msg more than 30 days old is checked.
>>
>> I have a version of Seamonkey on this machine and it will let me see old
>> messages. The settings seem to be the same.
>>
>> What other settings do I need to change in Thunderbird?
>>
>> Thanks, Jim
>>

>> Yeah, Thunderbird makes message display filtering harder than it
>> should be.
>>
>> View -> Messages -> All
>> View -> Threads -> All
>> Quick Filter button "Show only unread messages" should be unchecked.
>>

>> --
>> sktsee
>>
>> I don't see a menu item View -> Messages -> All
>>

> Oh right, I forgot that it doesn't show up unless you add the "Mail
> Views" object to the mail toolbar. Go View->Toolbars->Customize->drag
> Mail View to mail toolbar. Set selector to all.

OK, I have done this and it is set to all.

> You might also check the indivdual retention policy of the newsgroup.
> Right click on the newsgroup -> Properties -> Retention Policy tab ->
> make sure it uses "My account settings", or either that the individual
> settings are sensible. While you have the Folder Properties window open
> you could click on the Repair Folder button located on the General
> Information tab and see if that helps.

I did both of these steps but still can't see messages that have been
read.

To summarize my settings:

View-->Folders-->All
View-->Sort by-->Order received
View-->Messages-->All
View-->Threads-->All
View-->Headers-->Normal
View-->Message Body-->Plain text
Newsgroup-->Properties-->Retention Policy-->My Account Settings
Account Settings-->Synchronization&storage-->Don't delete any messages

What else could be effecting me viewing previously read messages?

Regards,  Jim