synaptic SOLVED and mirrors

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 18:53:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 06:23 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
> > wrote:
>
> >  [snippage]
> > Remember, I dumped Natty and 'regressed' to Lucid which continues to
> > amaze me at how fast it is compared to both Maverick and Natty.
> >

> Is there a thread where you describe how you did that?

No, I went through a LOT of gyrations in a short period of time. It went
something on the order of installing Ubuntu Standard, which blew off
some Mint packages. I went through the list of Mint specific packages,
figured out which respective Ubuntu Natty packages had been displaced,
and marked them for install, also noting that more Mint packages were
scheduled for deletion. It was pretty much hit and miss, and pressing a
few red buttons, too.

What really seemed to clinch the reverse install was running Computer
Janitor. It marked even more Mint packages for deletion and I hit that
red button too... all the time holding my breath. So far nothing has
blown up. My repos are still in a semi-hosed state, so if someone would
privately send me a copy of their's I'd appreciate it.

> I've got an old desktop that I just switched from gentoo to natty.  I'd been
> worrying that even though it's
> a 1.6G dual duo xeon, it seems so slow.  It hadn't registered on me that the
> distro might be what's slowing
> it down.  Our two laptops are still on Lucid, and I'd be happy to "regress"
> this one too.

Lucid is pretty solid in my humble estimation. I just took Mint-11 to
Ubuntu Natty (both Natty based) so there was no "regression" like going
back to a previous version. In your case, I would strongly suggest
bitting the bullet and doing a clean install, just to get rid of a LOT
configuration cruft, going back two levels. I do think you'd get a speed
gain, as Cyberwhiz noted. To me, Natty IS slower as a Wonderland server,
even with my new AMD 6 cores and 16 gigs of ram. That's plain sad.

But, I didn't install the server version either, so the "client" desktop
version of Natty is probably loaded down with a bunch of cloud sh..
stuff and desktop sh.. stuff, for the dull-normals. There's a rumor
floating around that Ocelot will come with a free pair of adult-sized
Depends, complete with a Tux logo on the rear flap and a USB moisture
detector app for your tool bar. Someone had better patent that quick,
before Apple says they own it, and get stinkin' rich. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256