Lucid office trap

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 16 01:53:13 UTC 2011

On 09/15/2011 06:39 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:18 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 09/15/2011 03:58 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>>
>>> No, this only removes the PPAs. Under simple conditions, usually one
>>> can remove the installed packages himself/herself.
>>
>> So you figure that it's simple to remove the packages from:
>> https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
>> ??
>>
>> Let's have a look:
>> <https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/1626654/+listing-archive-extra>
>>
>> You figure it's 'simple' to remove all of those by hand? Or to go
>> through each one to see if it was installed (by hand). Not to mention
>> all of the OOo packages that the ppa removed in the process... Your
>> advise (IMO) is both simplistic and wrong.
>

> Actually, this is what I do under GNOME:
>
> After removing a PPA,
>
> 1. I look at Synaptic's File->History, which also provides a Search
> function, find the primary packages that were installed by this PPA,
> uninstall them,
>
> 2. and then I run Computer Janitor (or sudo apt-get autoremove).

If you use Computer Janitor then you have considerably larger issues
than the OP.

Here's an excercise for you (don't forget to use lucid 10.04):

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install libreoffice-common
$ sudo apt-get install libreoffice

Now go and uninstall libreoffice via Synaptic & reinstall
OpenOffice.org. Don't forget to let us know how that works out for you.