Lucid office trap

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 15 15:49:30 UTC 2011

On 09/15/2011 07:12 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I got curious about the new LibreOffice, and made the mistake of thinking I
> could just try it on my lucid laptop.  No way -- it wanted to delete
> openoffice, so I did not allow that.
>
> I guess I wasn't clear in my mind about how synaptic works, and did not know
> I also needed to "unmark all" before I continued tinkering.  Anyway, somehow
> something got installed or updated or such, and synaptic kept finding fault
> with everything I did -- mostly in the form of holding back some parts of
> openoffice that needed to be reinstated. Even with comparing old and new
> results of "dpkg --get-selections" I was not able to find what to remove
> (completely) that would get back to smooth running.  Eventually, after
> removing a few hundred packages with no joy, I threw in the towel and let
> libreoffice take over.

If you installed LibreOffice via Synaptic in Lucid, then you did so from
a ppa... right?

The easiest way for you to revert to the default OOo on 10.04 is
to purge the ppa.

1. Enable backports via Synaptic:
System|Administration|Synaptic...|Settings|Repositories|Updates|tick
'Unsupported updates (lucid-backports)|Close. Then click the 'Reload'
button & in 'Quick Search' enter: ppa-purge. Install it & exit Synaptic.
2. Purge the PPA:
$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:libreoffice/ppa
[or the name of the ppa where you got libreoffice from]
That should purge the ppa & reinstall your original Ubuntu OOo.

Now install the remainder of OpenOffice.org (note: Ubuntu leaves out key
portions in it's basic install:

$ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org