"commit" option in /etc/fstab

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 14 18:59:37 UTC 2011

On 09/14/2011 08:31 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: Ubuntu 11.04 x86.
>

> Hi all.
>
> For an ext4 partition I have, I want to mount it with the default
> options, with only one modification: commit=300
>

> So, are these the right options?
>
> /dev/sdc1    /mnt/hdd    ext4     defaults,commit=300    0   2
>

> or the commit statement is ignored? If it is ignored, what is the
> correct way to state this?

Looks right to me...

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/en/man5/fstab.5.html
====
The fourth field, (fs_mntops), describes the mount  options  associated
       with the filesystem.

       It  is  formatted as a comma separated list of options.
====

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/en/man8/mount.8.html
====
Mount options for ext3
commit=nrsec
Sync all data and metadata  every  nrsec  seconds.  The  default value
is 5 seconds. Zero means default.
Mount options for ext4

       The  ext4  filesystem  is  an  an advanced level of the ext3
filesystem which  incorporates  scalability  and  reliability
enhancements for supporting large filesystem.
The   options  journal_dev,  noload,  data,  commit,  orlov,  oldalloc,
[no]user_xattr [no]acl, bsddf, minixdf, debug, errors, data_err, grpid,
bsdgroups,  nogrpid  sysvgroups,  resgid,  resuid,  sb, quota, noquota,
grpquota, usrquota and [no]bh are backwardly compatible  with  ext3  or
ext2.
====

And:
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt
commit=nrsec	(*)	Ext4 can be told to sync all its data and metadata...