partition question

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 14 14:00:48 UTC 2011

My /usr partition is getting fairly full (86% use) and I wondered if there
was anything simple that I could do to extend its effective size before any
problems arise.  I have plenty of space on other partitions, including one
that is unused.

Of course, I could re-install, or I could use LVM, but I was wondering
whether there was a simpler approach - e.g. by making a link (hard or soft?)
between /usr and a directory on the empty partition?  Would the system see
that as just one larger /usr?

I'm not looking for the ideologically purest way of doing it - in the long
run I shall re-install and re-partition - just the simplest and quickest to
avoid any immediate problems while I get on with other stuff.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources