[OT] - Netflix

Curt ctres at grics.net
Tue Sep 13 01:51:13 UTC 2011

On 09/12/2011 08:25 PM, Juan wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> Today Netflix was launched to the Caribbean. I signed up for a free
> trial this morning only to discover that Linux is not a supported OS.
> No streaming.
>
> Searched and the only workaround is a virtual machine. Correct or I am
> wrong?
>
> My system don't has resources to run two OS virtualized or even dual
> boot. It's a waste of resources only to see some show weekends.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Hello Juan!
  Sorry, I don't have the answer you want, but...
Some users claim to have it working under Wine.
There are several game consoles that will stream Netflix movies - Wii,
Xbox, etc. along with a number of Netflix ready Blue ray/DVD players. I
use a Sony model.

In the end,  until MS releases a DRM version for Mono/Moonlight Netflix
under Linux isn't likely to happen. Netflix has said they will not use
anything without DRM.
You could go here -> http://www.petitiononline.com/Linflix/, sign the
petition and also call (1-866-716-0414) and tell them you want Linux
support. They do take note of this.
Then hope that enough Linux users do the same. Maybe one day Netflix
will see the light. (no pun intended)