A coding question

Curt Tresenriter ctres at grics.net
Tue Sep 6 10:44:37 UTC 2011

On 9/5/2011 8:53 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
>>> I'm running vlc 1.1.3-1 under debian squeeze and these functions
>>> are present and work. What linux distro are you having this problem
>>> with?
>> It's not a problem with Ubuntu.
>> To use the speaker unit you choose the hardware output in volume
>> control. In my case it is the Saitek A250 portable USB speaker unit,
>> when the USB controller is plugged into the computer.
>> Under Windows the controls on the speaker then allow full functioning,
>> play, pause, ff, rew, etc. via the buttons on the speaker unit. These
>> controls are not implemented under Linux.
>> But I'm thinking there must be a way. Ric suggested finding out how the
>> buttons are mapped under Windows as a possibility.
> It could be mapped as an extension of the keyboard or as another mouse
> with buttons to click. I'm wondering if it shows up using usb-devices or
> lsusb?? That might give a clue. Ric

I was mistaken about her being no volume control from the speaker. That
is the only button that does work.

Results of usb-devices:

T:  Bus=04 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  5 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0a12 ProdID=1004 Rev=24.50
S:  Product=Saitek A-250 wireless 2.1 speaker
S:  SerialNumber=014E46-5B-0002
C:  #Ifs= 3 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=01(audio) Sub=01 Prot=00 Driver=snd-usb-audio
I:  If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=01(audio) Sub=02 Prot=00 Driver=snd-usb-audio
I:  If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid

results of lsub include this line:
Bus 004 Device 005: ID 0a12:1004 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd

which does not show up unless the Saitek's usb receiver is connected.

So now were getting somewhere??