My mouse is driving me crazy

Curt Tresenriter ctres at grics.net
Sun Sep 4 17:07:59 UTC 2011

On 9/4/2011 11:44 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> The mouse will lag at times. Cursor movement can be several seconds
>> behind the mouse movement. Clicking a button will often yield no results
>> and take three or four clicks before anything happens.
>
> <snip>
>
> Is it possible that the mouse itself is partly involved with the
> problem?  Many wireless mice have an energy saving feature that powers
> down the mouse when long periods of inactivity are sensed by the
> mouse.  Maybe the time lag is related to the mouse powering up again
> and maybe the mouse driver loses communications with the mouse and
> "goes crazy".  It's just a theory but is such a period of inactivity
> involved?  If it is, maybe you can change some of the power saving
> features of the mouse.
>
> Bill Stanley

Thanks for the idea Bill.
I wasn't aware of such settings for a mouse and although I've only used
this particular one for a few weeks, previous mouses almost exclusively
Logitech, had the same problem but only since Meerkat or maybe Lynx.
This one is the same brand as that "paid for" operating system - a gift.

Also, I hadn't thought of it, but there often are longish periods when
the machine is just sitting so it could be at least a part of the
issue... but even after I start using it again the problem almost
always persists until I reboot, so it's worth looking at.