I Was Wondering???

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 07:39:40 UTC 2011

2011/9/4 Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au>:
> On 04/09/11 15:48, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>> 2011/9/4 Pastor JW<pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org>:
>
> [pruned]

>>> Its simple, in your filter setup select "content-type" select "contains"
>>> and
>>> select "text/html" then under actions select "move into folder" and put
>>> "Local
>>> Folders/trash" in the remaining requester box and your html messages are
>>> all
>>> automatically shifted to the trash folder without you even have to look
>>> at
>>> them!
>>
>> In which email client? I don't use one at all, I just log in to GMail
>> with my browser.
>

> Why do that? Why not simply use Thunderbird and set it up to use gmail as
> the "post office" for your POP mail? No need to start up your browser, just
> run Thunderbird.

It's actually the other way around. My browser is running all the
time. Why start up an email client as well? Especially since my web
browser has a built in email client, but I don't use it either.
And I won't use POP3 anyway, since I don't want to save all those GiB
on my local HDD. I could use IMAP, but there were some issues with
that too, if I recall correctly. So I have done it, I just wasn't
pleased with it. The only advantage I can see right now by doing that
would probably be those filter options we discussed earlier.

> You then receive/send all your mail using TB. You read it,
> think about it, reply to it, edit it as many times as you wish over the next
> several days if you want to, and then send it off at your leisure.

I can do that online too.

> You are
> not constrained by having to come up with something to say while you are
> sitting there staring at the browser.

You haven't used GMail online, have you? You can save your email
without sending it. You'll find it by clicking ”Utkast” (I guess
that's ”Drafts” or something like that in English), then you can
continue to edit it or delete it, add attachments or whatever you want
to do.

> By using Thunderbird you have full control over how your mail is presented.

I have that with Evolution too (which is pre-installed anyway), and I
also have it WITHOUT Evolution.

> Setting up this process is as simple as falling off a log. Full instructions
> are on the gmail site.

I know; I have done that before with Evolution and Opera M2, IMAP and
POP3. Works great, but a lot of the online features of GMail can't be
done that way.