error on burning cd via brasero

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 17:02:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Christian <cdysthe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/30/2011 09:42 AM, roberto declared:
>>
>> Hello, i received the folowing error while burning a CD image:
>>
>> do you have any ideas ?
>> thank you !
>>
> I am having the same problem, but only when burning DVDs. It doesn't matter
> which burning software I use. I have tried different media also.
>
> --
> //Christian

I've posted this before, but thought I would chime in again.  Most of
the GUI burning software (K3B, Brasero, etc.) ultimately relies on the
same lower level libraries to burn the actual disk.  I haven't
confirmed this recently, but last time I checked, Ubuntu, by default,
was still shipping with CDRKit as its low level burning libraries.

Up until around 2006, pretty much everyone used CDRTools from Jörg
Schilling.  Then, Debian decided that the CDRTools CDDL license was
incompatible with GPL software, and forked it to create CDRKit (now
woodim I think).  Development of CDRKit stopped a few months after
forking and has stayed pretty much stagnant for since then (with no
new updates for newer burners, etc.).

If you are having trouble burning CDs or DVDs, or even are getting
infrequent burn errors, I would recommend using CDRTools instead of
CDRKit.  You can get it through the PPA here:

https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/cdrtools

To check to see which version of the burning libraries you currently
have installed, run

cdrecord -version

from the command line.  It should be newer than 2.01.01a09 and have
the copyright year and Jorg Schilling's name in it.  If you don't see
that, or are unsure, try CDRTools from the ppa.  Once installed, you
might need to double check that K3B or Brasero or whatever is pointed
to the right library.  You can either apt-get uninstall woodim or just
make sure which library K3B is pointed to.

If you want to read some from Jorg Schilling's point of view, here is
his web page about it:

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

TL;DR -   Install different burning libraries from the PPA above, they
are better than the default.  There might be some weird licensing
issues, but IANAL.

Preston