How to block a website on ubuntu

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Thu Sep 1 08:40:43 UTC 2011

Hi!

On 01/09/2011 10:10, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 02:43 -0400, Amrit Pal Pathak wrote:
>> I want to block facebook on my system (Ubuntu 10.04) so that nobody
>> can access it from my system but when ever i need to use it,i
>> could.How can i do it?
>
> You could just change your password on your own machine and not let
> anyone else use it.
>
> Or, be properly assertive and tell the others that you do not allow them
> to use facebook. <chuckles>  Ric

If the others don't have administrative access, you can always :

1) Configure local firewall (of your choice) on the machine to block
access to *.facebook.com
or
2) Edit /etc/hosts and create entries for www.facebook.com (and others
nicely .facebook.com names) to point to 127.0.0.1
or
3) Configure parental control on Ubuntu and mark all users not allowed
for FB and set  up the rules accordingly

But every time you want to use the same machine to access fb, you'll
have to undo the changes... (Except for (3) if you do things well).

Gilles.