shutdown and log out not working Ubuntu 11.10

Gary pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 17:16:07 UTC 2011

On 10/31/2011 06:02 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 31 October 2011 16:51, G.<pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Colin Law<clanlaw at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>> ..
>>> So just to check, in the indicator-session dropdown you see Logout and
>>> Shutdown, but selecting either of these does absolutely nothing?
>>>
>>> Have a look in the logs (log file viewer, syslog) to see if anything
>>> is added to the log when you click logout or shutdown.
>>>
>> The top panel disappears and then nothing.
> Once again you have not answered all the questions.  The logs?  Note
> the time at which you press the button then wait a bit so before
> powering down so that you will be able to distinguish the messages
> from your failed attempt from those produced by the power down, then
> look in syslog after booting up again and see what is there from the
> failed attempt.  If there are any messages that look like errors then
> search for those on launchpad to see if the bug is already reported.
>
> Colin

I was working on the log part.   I had not shut down or logged out in 36
hours.  This time shut down worked.  I then logged off and it worked
too.  Whatever caused the problem has been corrected.  There was a
recent update, I think in the last 24 hours.  Maybe that solved the
problems.  In any case before I shut down I checked the sys log, there
was no error message in there.

Let's leave this sit for a day or two and see if the problem returns.  I
will check on launchpad.

Thanks for your assistance!  Much appreciated!

garyk